If you’re unsure what the out of box experience is like for consumers, watch and learn as they open product packaging and provide unvarnished reactions to the process.
How the process works
- Identify product(s) to investigate in the study
- Develop a research protocol to explore how to best capture out of box consumer reactions
- Recruit key audience segments (e.g. Loyalists, Casuals, Lapsed)
- Use Fabric remote video capture to have participants provide insight on the unboxing experience, including perceptions of messaging, packaging materials, first sight of the product, and product use
- Brand blind: in some cases, new product concepts are shipped without any branding to gauge reactions absent of any brand influence
- Pre wave: in some cases, we recommend a pre wave of perception gathering prior to having product shipped to customers’ homes
- Product use and preparation: we have shipped food products and had consumers prepare and eat product on video. We have shipped make-up to women, and had them apply it and take it off, while recording their reactions
- Packaging parallels: we have had consumers show examples of other packaging they either like or dislike to learn from other types of packaging consumers relate to
Timing and cost
- Out-of-box experience projects can take from one to four weeks or more to complete, depending on study complexity (i.e. if a product needs to be sent to participants, it can take longer).
- Studies can be set up in minutes and usually involve 15 or more participants. Videos, transcripts, and analysis through Fabric’s AI show up as soon as participants complete their surveys.
- The “Bring Your Own Recruits” option starts at $50 per person. Each person you invite from your list answers up to 10 questions per study, yielding 10 x 1 minute video responses per person. Includes transcripts (machine & human for accuracy), and access to our sentiment and emotion based AI.
- The “DIY + Recruit” option starts at $250 per person, and you create a study recruiting from our proprietary database of over 250,000 respondents. Each person answers up to 10 questions per study, yielding 10 x 1 minute video responses per person. Includes screening, transcription (human + machine for accuracy), and access to our proprietary sentiment and emotion based AI.
15 participants each answer 10 questions using the video on their smartphone or laptop. That produces 150 x 1 minute video clips and corresponding transcripts (both through Fabric’s AI, and a parallel service that includes a human’s eyes to capture important nuances).
All delivered via a cloud-based link that is shareable, and assets that can be downloaded (videos in MP4 format) to be used to bring the insights to life for presentations, and highly engage audiences.